Lucan's Irish name Leamhcán translates as “The place of the marshmallow plant”. The marshmallow plant was used to treat sprains and chest infections.
Archaelogists found evidence of a prehistoric settlement in Lucan in Vesey Park.
In 1758 a spa was discovered in Lucan making it a popular spot for people to visit from Dublin and the surrounding areas. A hotel and ballroom sprung out of this location because of this and the Spa Hotel still exists.
King John’s Bridge, rumoured to be the oldest bridge in Ireland, is in Lucan’s Griffeen Park.